Part 2- Chest/Push Up Series with Clifta- Exercise Tip

This is Part 2 of 3… of my Chest/Push-Up Series. This clip is talking about what I call “the hinge” in the chest. If you’ve been feeling pressure or more of a load on your shoulders or triceps during Push-Ups or any other Chest exercise more than you do your Chest… then this clip is a must see. Learning to hinge at the Chest instead of the Shoulders will make all of your Chest Exercises more effective! I also talk of antagonistic muscle groups… what are they? Part 3… is the actual, more detailed, Push-Up Demonstration! Don’t miss out! Clifta has been in the Health & Fitness Industry for 25 years now and is currently training clients in Reno, Nevada.

1. Thank you! 🙂

2. Thank you! 🙂

3. flitspaaltje says:

oh cool! very well explained, i never really thought of the hinge thing, but it all makes sense now, thanks (O:

4. You can’t let your low back fall because your core is your power center that is connected to whatever muscle you are using at the time. In this case it’s chest. You lose the engagement of the core… and you lose the power in your chest to go farther. 🙂

5. So when you get closer to the end of your set and feel like you are slowing down… focus on what your belly and low back are doing. If there is a tiny bit of sway in your low back then your core is getting tired and not fully engaged… so in your mind think of pushing your low back up to the ceiling, pulling you belly up, keeping your elbows out, squeezing your chest harder as you push up, and staying over top of it.

6. One more thing I just thought of…
    Make sure as you get closer to your max number of reps that you can do, make sure that you keep your belly pulled up and your core engaged.

One of the things that happens when we start to get tired at the end of a set is our core starts to get tired and we lose our strength.

7. I wouldn’t use all these different techniques in one workout though…
    I would pick one, and focus on that one for your entire workout. Blast it!
    Then next workout… pick another technique and focus on that one your entire workout.
    And so on.
    Then make sure you have enough rest time in between. That’s just as important as your training. 🙂

Hope that helps. 🙂

8. Also have you done pauses? You pause at the bottom of each push up. Hold for a 2 count and then go back up to the top.

You can also add in planks and hold them as long as you can. That will help increase endurance in your arms, shoulders, chest, and abs, which will help with your push-ups.

And last… have you tried hovers? Hovers are where you go down either half way or to the bottom of your push up and just hold it as long as you can.

9. First thing that comes to mind is… have you tried adding weight to yourself and training with them that way? That will help your “Push Up Muscles” get stronger. Then when you go to do them without the weight, you should see a difference.

10. moviedude22 says:

It does make sense…alot of sense! You’re obviously very good at what you do I’m in pretty fit shape but I’ve been training on push-ups for a career in the military for more than 8mths and I can’t seem to breech the consecutive 45-50 count. Bogus!! =) …52 in 2min is the min. =( – again, I really enjoy your slow, methodical detailed delivery but I NEED results. What else ya got?

p.s. would you ever consider posting a similar video only for Pull-ups? I think you’d do great!!!

11. I just feel it’s very important to feel chest when you’re training chest because I’ve seen people who have never learned that, and now have shoulder problems.

I’m glad you like my videos though. 🙂
    Thank you for watching!

12. Haha. Somtimes I can and sometimes I can’t.
    Just depends on what someone wants to know.
    I’ve been training people for 25 years now and you’d be surprised how many of them don’t know how to feel chest. They feel their arms and shoulders instead.
    So this is just a way I’ve come up with to explain it that helps it make sense to them. And then they finally get.
    Someone had sent me a message saying they that felt their shoulders alot when doing chest… that’ s why I went into so much detail.

13. moviedude22 says:

I really like your videos, but can you please just make it simple?

14. Thank you. 🙂

15. thanks for upload.
    very good tips for me

your voice make me relax=)

16. CliftaFIT says:

Thank you for watching and commenting! 🙂

17. (((( Really Great Trainer Clifta!!!! Tenk’s for Informations!!! I will practice next week for sure!…because today was chest day…Great job Trainer Clifta! )))) ….lol

18. CliftaFIT says:

Thank you very much!
    I’m really happy that you are finding them helpful!

19. CliftaFIT says:

You are too kind! haha.
    Thank you for watching and commenting!

20. tippybrooks says:

Clifta You are the best fitness expert!! You really care about your profession & people! It shows on your video! You make it enjoyable to watch! You are so amazing & sexy too!!

21. CliftaFIT says:

Thank you for your feedback!
    I’m glad you find my explanations easy to understand! haha.
    Sometimes I know I ramble and drag things out. lol.
    You are very kind. 🙂

22. CliftaFIT says:

Thank you! 😀

23. CliftaFIT says:

Thanks, Coach!!!

24. CliftaFIT says:

Thank you! Glad you liked it! 🙂

25. ariba1888 says:

Cheers Clifta…Great info as always 🙂 Keep up the great work !!!