Here in Battling for Health, we also have our favorite health topics and events for 2010 that we recommend for our readers old and new.
We have covered a lot in this subcategory, from the most common forms (smoking, alcohol and drug abuse) to the less common, such as:
- Love, obsession, and addiction: it’s all neurochemistry
- Digital Drugs: Hyped Hoaxes or Real Threats?
- Inhalants: addictive substances in your household chemicals
Aging is one of my favorite subcategories in this blog and my favorite posts are those dealing with studies which cast a positive light on aging.
- Looking forward to old age
- To live long and stay healthy
- Do you have what it takes to be a centenarian?
My 2010 favorite was clearly the series wherein we interviewed AD expert Dr. Michael Rafii. Check out:
- Interview with an Alzheimer’s expert, Part I: How far are we from a treatment?
- Interview with an Alzheimer’s Expert Part II: To be tested or not to be tested
- Interview with an Alzheimer’s expert Part III: The genetic component
Unfortunately, our posts on arthritis in 2010 have been scarce. We hope to correct this in 2011.
Asthma and allergies
We combine these two as they are closely related. We believe that the most relevant posts on are the effects of air-borne allergens such as traffic pollution, second-hand smoke, pollens and spores on our health. It is also for this reason that we especially support the Fresh Air Fund as a non-profit organization.
- Help! Fresh Air Needed for Children
- What’s the state of the air in your city?
- Pollen and Mold Counts
In the case of cancer, we have covered a lot of topics but my favorites are those on healthy lifestyle and the anti-cancer agents that you find in your kitchen. In addition, we have supported the Breast Cancer Action Group (BCA), in some of their campaigns.
Depression, stress and infertility
Depression and stress are linked to many disorders, including infertility, diabetes and heart disease. These are best described in the posts
Obviously, my favorite posts on diabetes are those dealing with lifestyle strategies but also relevant were the controversy leading to the withdrawal of Avandia in the European Union.
- Diabetes News, Nov 5: Lifestyle interventions for diabetes
- Diet vs. drugs in diabetes management
- Diabetic drug Avandia in trouble
Heart and Stroke
Battling heart disease and stroke has been a very important part of this blog and will always remain to be in 2011. We have compiled a “best of 10” on hearty news and research topics for 2010. My personal favorites, of course, are still my posts about running and hiking.
- The crazy yet healthy things we do in wintertime
- The health benefits of hiking
- Too old to run a marathon? Stop making excuses
We had just a few posts on MS but I think we have covered the most relevant issue of CCSVI.
- The MS Cure, Part I: Is MS an Autoimmune or a Vascular Disease
- The MS Cure Part II: proponents and opponents of CCSVI
- The MS Cure Part III: vascular stenting and potential side effects
Schizophrenia, hearing and vision are among those topics we have neglected in 2010. We will try to do better in 2011.
So what were your favorites in 2010 here at Battling for Health?