Happy Friday. It’s certainly my favorite day of the week.
The American Cancer Society brings an innovative and encouraging new feature to their site, the Podcast Series: “With the help of six breast cancer survivors and Dr. Margaret Kemeny, world-renowned oncologist and Director of Queens Cancer Center at Queens Hospital, we present Journey to Recovery, an American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Podcast Series. Each episode is filled with inspiration, hope, and support, as well as valuable clinical information. You’ll instantly connect with these brave women as they openly and honestly share their experiences.”
Did you know the AARP Bulletin Today and the AARP Magazine can be accessed online? Both are full of great articles on health advocacy and medicine. The May Bulletin features, Good News About Cancer: Revolutionary Treatments are Saving Lives, by Barbara Basler.
2008 LIVESTRONG DAY event at Playa del Rey is one of 500 Events Nationwide To Support Cancer Survivors on LIVESTRONG DAY
Event Update: Now featuring the British rock band, The Automatics! Hosted by Emmy Award Winning Actress, Author and Activist, Jackie Guerra
Tuesday, May 13th from 5:00 to 8:00 PM
- 2008 LIVESTRONG DAY at Playa del Rey is a picnic in the park to unite people affected by cancer. The event will support LIVESTRONG Day, the Lance Armstrong Foundation’s (LAF) one-day, nationwide initiative to raise awareness and funds for the fight against cancer and to lend our voice in making the disease a national priority.
- This event is free and open to the public. THIS IS NOT A FUNDRAISER. It is a party in the park, a picnic under the stars and an opportunity to listen to live music. Let the kids play in a Moonbounce, eat popcorn, Sno Cones or cotton candy and help raise community awareness.
- Create a strength bracelet at the Beads of Courage Booth that will become a wearable piece of art to remind you of the courage and strength it takes to fight cancer.
- Residents of ALL communities are invited. The event will culminate with a powerful Candlelight Vigil and Roll Call honoring those affected by the disease.
- Free LIVESTRONG wristbands to the first 150 guests.
- Special guests include comedian-actress Jonna Tamases who performs an excerpt from her hilarious one-woman show, “Jonna’s Body, Please Hold,” about her three bouts with cancer. Singer/Songwriter Jessie Reimer accompanied by Daydrift and much more.
Location: Del Rey Lagoon Park-6660 Esplanade Place, Playa del Rey, CA 90293.
Free valet parking for cyclists! Remember to wear yellow!
For more information or to have your loved one honored in the roll call please contact:
Jennifer Gribbon 310-338-1500 ext.101 or Jennifer@HomerunENT.com
The University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, President John Mendelsohn M.D. has responded to an April 28 article in the Wall Street Journal, Cash Before Chemo: Hospitals Get Tough. Thanks to TruthOut for sharing the article which discusses the plight of the uninsured and underinsured and access to care.
This Week’s Headline Cancer News:
The Melbourne Herald Sun, May 9, 2008. Alcohol Increases Cancer Risk. “FOUR standard alcoholic drinks a day increases a man’s risk of developing bowel cancer by 64 per cent, a new report says.“
ScienceDaily, May 9, 2008. Skin Flaps Deliver Cancer-Fighting Therapy, Study Reveals. “Using gene therapy, plastic surgeons have delivered cancer fighting proteins through skin flaps placed on cancerous tumors on rats with a 79 percent reduction in tumor volume…”
Associated Press, May 8, 2008. Armstrong Urges Congress to Renew War on Cancer. “Seven-time Tour de France winner and cancer survivor is calling on Congress to renew the nation’s war on . ”
BBC News, May 5, 2008. Anti-Cancer Gene Shield Discovery. ” Scientists have discovered a group of chemicals which protect one of the body’s most important anti-cancer genes from destruction. ”
The last day to enter to win a free pound of Bald Lady Coffee.
Leave a comment and your name is entered.One entry per person.
One random name will be drawn at 9 pm MST tonight.
For more information on Bald Lady Coffee see the Cafe Cartago website.