Lots of fun and interesting things to share today. Like…
Hillerich & Bradsby Co. Inc., the company behind the Louisville Slugger, is making pink bats for the third consecutive year. Not only does a portion of the purchase of the bats go to fund breast cancer research, but over 350 Major League Baseball players will be using the bats. The MLB bats will be autographed and auctioned for Susan G. Komen For the Cure. You can purchase your own at www.slugger.com
Bald Lady Coffee
Created after her own battle with breast cancer two years ago, Denver’s Cafe Cartago co-owner,
Lynda Larsen created Bald Lady Coffee to raise cancer awareness and funds to assist breast cancer patients going through treatment.
For more information on Bald Lady Coffee see the Cafe Cartago website.
Battling Cancer will be giving away a free pound of Bald Lady Coffee to someone who posts between today and next Friday, May 9.
Leave a comment and your name is entered.
One entry per person.
One random name will be drawn!
2008 LIVESTRONG DAY at Playa del Rey is one of 500 Events Nationwide To Support Cancer Survivors on LIVESTRONG DAY
Hosted by Emmy Award Winning Actress, Author and Activist, Jackie Guerra
Tuesday, May 13th from 5:00 to 8:00 PM
- 2008 LIVESTRONG DAY at Playa del Rey is a picnic in the park to unite people affected by cancer. The event will support LIVESTRONG Day, the Lance Armstrong Foundation’s (LAF) one-day, nationwide initiative to raise awareness and funds for the fight against cancer and to lend our voice in making the disease a national priority.
- This event is free and open to the public. THIS IS NOT A FUNDRAISER. It is a party in the park, a picnic under the stars and an opportunity to listen to live music. Let the kids play in a Moonbounce, eat popcorn, Sno Cones or cotton candy and help raise community awareness.
- Create a strength bracelet at the Beads of Courage Booth that will become a wearable piece of art to remind you of the courage and strength it takes to fight cancer.
- Residents of ALL communities are invited. The event will culminate with a powerful Candlelight Vigil and Roll Call honoring those affected by the disease.
- Free LIVESTRONG wristbands to the first 150 guests.
- Special guests include comedian-actress Jonna Tamases who performs an excerpt from her hilarious one-woman show, “Jonna’s Body, Please Hold,” about her three bouts with cancer. Singer/Songwriter Jessie Reimer accompanied by Daydrift and much more.
Location: Del Rey Lagoon Park-6660 Esplanade Place, Playa del Rey, CA 90293.
Free valet parking for cyclists!
Remember to wear yellow!
For more information or to have your loved one honored in the roll call please contact:
Jennifer Gribbon 310-338-1500 ext.101 or Jennifer@HomerunENT.com
Cancer Headlines This Week:
The Sun, May 2, 2008. TV Chef, Nigella’s Big C Push. “Nigella Lawson and Prime Minister’s wife Sarah Brown have opened a £3.5 million cancer centre billed as a way in which good architecture can help those in need.”
The Daily Mail, May 1, 2008. Scientists Find New Protein That Could Repair Cancer-Causing DNA. “Scientists have discovered a new protein in humans that plays an important role in repairing DNA damage that could lead to cancer.”
The Economic Times, May 1, 2008. Daily Aspirin May Cut Risk of Common Breast Cancer. American researchers found that taking aspirin was linked to a small reduction in estrogen receptor-positive (ER+) breast cancers.
ABC News, May 1, 2008. You Asked, We Answered: Speaking Out On Vocal Cord Cancer. Dr. Steven Zeitels Answered Your Questions About the Debilitating Illness.