Is buying eyeglasses online a good idea? You can buy everything else on the Internet, even contact lenses, so why not buy eyeglasses online too? Is doing so more convenient, less expensive or more risky? Let’s take a look.
Shopping online is generally more convenient if you know what you’re looking for and you shop at reputable sites. It’s convenient for those who are busy and those who live in remote or rural areas. All you need is a computer, an Internet connection, a shipping address and a credit card and you can buy practically anything online, even eyeglasses.
Whether or not buying eyeglasses online is less expensive isn’t easy to answer. You have to spend time comparing prices to see if and where there are deals. With so many eyeglass and discount chains offering low prices on eyeglasses, most outlets, whether they’re online-based or physical locations claim to offer the lowest prices. When you shop on the Internet, pay attention to shipping and handling charges as that’s where your order total can really add up.
Are there any risks involved in buying eyeglasses online? There can be, if you aren’t familiar with shopping this way. You want to find a site offering secure ordering, access to customer service and a fair return or exchange policy. Again, if you take time to research your options, you’ll greatly reduce your risks.
Remember, when buying eyeglasses online you’re on your own. You’ll be purchasing an item that is 100% customized for your eyes and also for your appearance. For some, reliance on knowledgeable customer service personnel can really make a difference in their overall satisfaction. They need that one-on-one attention when making decisions about which type of eyeglass lens is best, whether or not they need any ‘extras’ like anti-glare protection and afterwards, when eyeglass frame adjustments are needed to get the most comfortable fit. If that’s how you are, you probably shouldn’t be ordering eyeglasses online until you’re familiar with your options.
If you do decide you want to give buying eyeglasses online a try, follow these steps:
1. Make sure you have a valid prescription for eyeglasses as you’ll need it to place your order. If you don’t have one or you think your vision may have changed since the date of your last prescription, have your eyes examined and get an updated prescription. Ask the eye doctor to measure your PD (pupillary distance) and include it on your prescription.
2. Familiarize yourself with your options before ordering. Understand the particular needs of your prescription as well as the different types of eyeglass lenses and coatings and frame styles. Sites that sell eyeglasses often have much useful information to assist you.
3. If you don’t have it, you’ll have to measure the distance between your pupils. This can be difficult, even for the experienced, but it’s necessary to ensure your eyes end up looking straight at the center of the lenses on your new eyeglasses.
4. Choose your eyeglass lenses and preferred frame.
5. Head to the checkout area to complete your order.