By Patricia Wagner
If you are facing breast cancer surgery or have had a mastectomy or partial mastectomy, there are certain activities you can avoid to bypass extra suffering after your surgery. Here are some tips to help yourself be more comfortable:
1. As you are probably aware, emotional and psychological pain can sometimes hurt even worse than physical pain. With that in mind, you will want to have a support group standing behind you before surgery and after as well. For example, there may be a friend that you have in mind right now who has already gone through breast surgery. She will probably be a great comfort to you at this time in your life.
2. After breast cancer surgery you may experience a sense of imbalance in your body. In time your body will adjust. A physical therapist can help you regain as much movement as possible. He or she can suggest special exercises to help work out the stiffness and help you to feel better physically after surgery.
3. If you have lymph nodes removed, the affected arm may swell from time to time. So avoid wearing tight clothing or bracelets.
4. Use the arm that has not been involved in your mastectomy or partial mastectomy to carry heavy items.
5. After surgery you will want any medical procedures to be done on your stronger arm. For example, receive injections and have your blood pressure taken on the arm that has not been involved in your surgery.
6. For heavy-duty cleaning or gardening use protective gloves. If your arm is swelling, you’ll feel worse having it scratched by thorns from your rose bushes.
7. Protect your skin against sunburn. A swollen sunburned arm can cause a great deal of misery!
8. Be especially careful not to cut yourself when you trim your nails or cuticles.
9. Purchase an elastic sleeve to wear on your arm if it swells.
10. Protect yourself from being bit by mosquitoes and other insects.
11. Your arm may bother you if you have lymph nodes removed, so be sure to consult with your doctor if your arm should bother you.
12. Be very careful to avoid junk foods and eat healthy foods to give your body the nourishment it needs.
By putting these 12 tips into practice after you have had breast cancer surgery, you will help yourself feel better and avoid needless extra suffering.
Article Source: EzineArticles.com/?expert=Patricia_Wagner